Original Medicare is a health plan that has two parts: Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B. Enrollment into Medicare Part A and B is automatic for many, while others must self-enroll.
If you meet the following criteria, you are eligible for Original Medicare.:
- 65 or older
- Are a U.S. citizen
- Are a permanent legal resident of at least five years
- Have ESRD
To be automatically enrolled in Original Medicare, you must be:
- Receive benefits from the Social Security or Railway Pension Commission four months before turning 65
- Under 65 with a disability and have received SSDI for a minimum of 24 months
- Diagnosed with ALS
If you are eligible to get automatically enrolled in Original Medicare, you will have premium-free Part A. Though, Part B will still require a premium payment. Work experience of at least ten years and Medicare tax payment also makes you eligible for getting premium-free Part A.
You will need to contact your local Social Security office to begin the enrollment process if you are not automatically enrolled.
Part A Coverage
Part A covers inpatient care in a hospital. Part A also covers:
- Skilled nursing facility (SNF) care
- Nursing home care
- Home health care
- Hospice care
Part B Coverage
Part B covers outpatient care. It also covers:
- Medically necessary services
- Preventive services
- Durable medical equipment
- Ambulance services
- Mental health services
- Specific outpatient prescriptions
- X-rays and lab tests
Need Original Medicare Coverage?
If you are nearing your eligibility but do not know how to enroll, or if you will be automatically enrolled, please contact the Galina Balboa Global Insurance Group today. We will walk you through the enrollment process.
Contact us for a consultation regarding your insurance needs.